Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Prescription drugs.

So kind of a continuation of last weeks post. Why do you need a prescription for prescription drugs. When I have talked to people about this it seems the 2 main concerns were people using the wrong medication for their ailment, or people abusing the drugs. As far as I can tell any drug worth abusing is already readily available on the street, if people want experiment with this stuff they will find a way to do it. The concern about people self medicating I can kind of understand, it seems there is a lot of concern about people not taking a full course of antibiotics which can make some drug resistant infections. However I think most of us will take a pill for a headache without consulting a doctor, and if we have left over pills for a previous prescription we will take those if similar symptoms occur. Growing up I had a re-occurring illness, seemed every 2 months I was going to the doctor, hardly did any examination wrote the prescription and sent me on my way. My parents knew what was wrong with me, the doctor knew what was wrong with me, but I still had to go in to get the prescription, seems like a waste of time and money. On the other hand I can see people go to the drug store and buying the wrong thing and causing themselves some problems. I guess I see it as just another way for people to meddle in our lives. I like to imagine people that didn't know what was wrong with them would go to the doctor and find out, and those of us that already knew could skip that step and just get what we need. So what do you think, am I crazy for thinking people would be responsible enough for this? 

12 comments:

  1. It's just the regulatory system. We live in a modern society that values the input from a qualified medical doctor. Like you said, instead of guessing how much antibiotic, or asthma medication, or steroid, or diuretic I need, I use the educated assistance of a medical doctor.

    I suppose it can seem annoying if you already know what is ailing you and you feel that you can better treat yourself. But otherwise I would say that it is a pretty good system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with Kamchatka. It regulates the system, and a medical professional might notice changes that an unqualified person might miss. Doctors exist because they are supposed to be a responsible person who have knowledge about these things and can help people who don't know. So even if you stopped having people get prescriptions from a doctor, they would end up going to the doctor to get the same advice anyways, why not save an extra hassle of trying to track down a drug and get a prescription when you see the doctor anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This semester I took an interesting class regarding bacteria and humans. In particular, we spoke a lot about antibiotics and them being over prescribed and over used. People are always going to either a) abuse medice or B) not use it as directed...

    it's a vicious cycle.

    Otherwise, great post, looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. people are not responsible, thats life

    ReplyDelete
  5. more people die every year from prescription drug interactions than heroin . go figure

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's why theres a difference, theres no such things as "free seel drugs" , there are illegal ones, and the ones you need prescription

    i understand when you say " As far as I can tell any drug worth abusing is already readily available on the street" but that argument is invalid, as that drugs in the street are illegal and the police it is suposed to stop that kind of drug traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I just want to let you know that I have completed my university exams and in turn reactivated my entertainment blog What Goes On. I hope that you would include my blog back into your viewing experience and I hope that I can once again earn your viewership. Thanks, Jonny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this is gonna sounds bad but, LET THEM

    ReplyDelete
  9. people should judge for themselves... their body and their life

    utubed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i agree with ed.. people are not responsible

    ReplyDelete
  11. the good thing about prescription drug versus the drugs you get at the street is that the prescription drugs are controlled and you really know what you are taking, a gram of coke on the street can be anything.

    ReplyDelete